Tuesday, September 17, 2013

On my Kindle: Wild

I just finished this wonderful, truth-telling memoir from Cheryl Strayed.

I picked it on a whim, but had heard some rumblings of good things..and I'm glad I went for it!

Strayed lost her mom suddenly at 22, and decided a couple of years later that a way to heal the wounds of grief and her broken marriage was to walk the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT).

What she experiences is not what she expected, but it changed her in ways she could never have imagined. 

She made me laugh out loud, cry at times, but she is always matter of fact and honest-which is what makes this book so relatable. I have never hiked the PCT, now do I have plans to (but I guess you never know..) but I felt like I could relate to Strayed non-the-less.

If I'm honest she makes me mad at her former self at times...I just want to shake her and tell her to stop ruining her (past) life. But she always won me over with her charm and self awareness.
 
Such a powerful and honest story of hope and overcoming grief.

I recommend it, even if hiking is not your thing, or you've never lost a parent-still a page turner!

No comments:

Post a Comment