Sunday, September 9, 2012

On My Kindle: The Orchard






I've been reading lately. A lot actually.
finding time early in the morning, during naps, late into the night.
grasping those quiet moments where technology isn't involved (ok, my kindle, but thats different, right?)

I got caught up in a few toss away paperback type books.
But I was really craving a good, get-you-into-it, can't-put-it-down type of book.

I found The Orchard while browsing through target. it was their "book club" book.

And I'm always a sucker for book clubs.
be them big name box store book clubs, famous television personality book clubs or the good old fashion a couple of women sitting around on a saturday morning book club.
So I thought I'd give it a try. The back summary looked interesting enough.

I got a chapter in and i was hooked.

WOW.

I think it hit home because of living in the middle of apple country, and the whole environmental aspect of it really got to me as well.
and the fact that it is a memoir just makes it that much more personal.

The author says at one point that she didn't use her name throughout the book on purpose, because she wanted this story to be every farmer's story. 
While I'm not, and have never been, a farmer, I still felt everything that she felt. I saw the beauty of creation the way she saw it and I think I've been around the raw earth enough to understand it.

Her story was incredible. She made me smell all of the smells she smelled. Feel all of the feelings for this beautiful golden curly haired farmer. Understand how her past family connections affected her current situations while living on the farm.

Environmentally I was astounded at what these farmers go through. And what their families go through. The disconnect between making living and trying to survive. The pressure they feel and how connected to one place they are.

I wished she kept the detail up throughout the whole book, but I think the ending was too painful and she understandably lightened up on the details, but I was definitely wanting some more.

Such a great read as the apples are starting to appear in the grocery store and the crisp fall air is coming.

I'm now at a loss for another book, but not sure that the next will live up to The Orchard.

No comments:

Post a Comment