Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Adventures in Vegetarianism

For lent, I gave up meat. This has been going so well! I am in love with how my body feels and have been able to explore new tastes and recipes like Roasted Veggie and Black Bean Burritos! They are fantastic-I never knew that vegetables all the time could be so good.

I thought I would eat only pasta, but so far, two weeks in and I have only had one 3/4 cup of whole wheat pasta with much more homemade tomato sauce than there was actually pasta.

Today I watched this video from PETA. (ok, I couldn't get through the whole thing...it's REALLY graphic.). And though I do not agree with how PETA goes about their cause, I truly believe in what they are trying to do. They also make you feel like you're in a secret club that's really cool (and skinny, because one of the first reasons to not eat meat is because Meat and dairy make you fat. really peta??). I don't know that if by my not eating a chicken nugget that there is less animal cruelty in the world, but it is one less chicken nugget that will be bought.

I can't tell you that I am doing this out of civic duty, wanting to be healthier, sacrificing and disciplining for Lent or a combination of the three...but I'm really digging the no meat thing. We all know I'm really a hippie at heart-so this may just last longer than 40 days.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment