Friday, September 4, 2009

Part Three.

So we started pushing. Not knowing what position would work best, we tried very many in the next 2.5 ish hours (neither of us are quite sure how long it was.). There were a few bumpy patches like when our lovely midwife left mid push "just to go check on another patient," to which I, a first time labor patient who was fed up with the crap she had put me through earlier in the evening replied very loudly "are you kidding me?"

At this point I was at the point of exhaustion. I don't remember much of these two hours and am pretty sure I was this close to passing out numerous times during this. L said at one point I was dileriouly asking him where I was and what was going on. I distinctly remember at one point during the end when I was on the squat bar falling back because my arms could no longer hold my weight and having 2 nurses and luke catch me before I hit the bed and push me back up to the bar because I was so close. In the end it went from no baby to Ann almost dropping EM because she came out so quick. But it was over. It was 4:35 am, 13 hours and 35 minutes from when we started and we were both exhausted beyond belief. It took another hour and 45 minutes to get things in order and have all things done to her that needed to be. One of my greatest memories is watching L with his shirt off (skin to skin) hold our little girl for the first hour of her life.

It was a long night, and what seemed like a long recovery but here we are 17 days later. One thing I think they don't prepare pregnant women for nearly enough is what happens after. Not just in the delivery room but for the next couple of days. It is disgusting and scary and I wish someone would have warned me a little bit more. I don't know if I could have prepared, I don't think anyone can, but at least to know.

Tonight we gave EM her first bath where she didn't scream the whole way through. She was so content and so alert. I hope she has a love for water like her parents do :)

No comments:

Post a Comment