Tuesday, April 15, 2014

On my Kindle: Where's you Go, Bernadette



I finally finished this book that was for a book group way back in February. I had high hopes for this book as so many people were singing its praises.

The author wrote for Mad about You, SNL, and arrested development. I mean, how could it not be good right?

I am not always a fan of funny books, so that may be a big factor, but I really wasn't a fan of this book.

Where'd You Go, Bernadette  is about a family who lives in Seattle. The dad works at Microsoft, the daughter (Bee) attends a private school there, and Bee's mom Bernadette used to be an award winning architect but now is just a bit crazy. The book is written mostly through collected letters, reports and correspondences. Every time I picked it up it took me a little while to get back into the style used.

Overall it was interesting in the beginning but I lost interest about halfway through and then the ending left more to be desired. I also did not find it particularly funny. I'm not sure if the author was looking for laughs, but I just struggled to get through it (especially the second half).

This book has won a lot of attention, and based on the amazon and goodreads review many liked it a lot, I was not one of those people but a book with that much attention is always worth a read!

No comments:

Post a Comment